11/22/14

Hearty Lunch

Today is packing day! I officially move in one week and am finally realizing my small time frame. About a month ago I outlined a master list to help me in this exact moment of procrastination. Before jumping into this potentially stressful afternoon, I cooked up a hearty lunch that's definitely worth sharing.

Autumn Bowl

I rarely eat salad. I find there are so many more interesting and tasty ways to incorporate veggies into your diet. I can guarantee you will never find me ordering a garden or Caesar salad from a restaurant - it's a complete waste of money. If you're craving a green & leafy base to your meal, give this recipe a shot. It's a perfect combination of protein and fiber goodness to fill up with. 


  • 1 Cup Spinach (or your preferred greens)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3/4 Cup Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1/4 Cup Walnuts
  • 1 Tbsp. Pesto (I use Buitoni with Parmesan)
  • Salt & Pepper
Dressing
  • 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
  • 2 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
  • Dash of Maple Syrup
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While it's heating up, peel and cube the butternut squash. I recommend using the whole squash so you can have leftovers that are ready to add to whatever recipe you'd like. I only had half of a squash to work with, so adjust the oil, salt, and pepper accordingly. I tossed it with about 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil as well as salt and pepper. If you have a favorite spice you want to add in go right ahead. Spread the cubed squash out on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 25 minutes.

While the squash cooks, heat up a frying pan with a dab of butter over medium heat. As the pan heats up, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and toss the spinach to cover. Come back to the frying pan and crack the 2 eggs into the pan. Allow to cook about 60 seconds then flip each one over for 60 seconds on the other side. I prefer to continue flipping my eggs back and forth a couple of times to cook the yolk through to avoid it running. If you prefer a runny yolk, you'll be all set with the once-over. 

Transfer the eggs onto the bed of spinach, add the Tbsp. of pesto and 1/4 cup walnuts. The squash should be fork-tender at this point, so check the oven and pull the baking sheet out when ready. Simply scoop 1/2-3/4 cup squash into your bowl of spinach, eggs, walnuts, and pesto and your meal is complete!

Happy Weekend, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment