1/28/15

Intentions

I'm sitting in Starbucks reading through "The Juice Generation" by Eric Helms, founder of the first juicery in the US back in 1999 before any of us really starting thinking about juice that extended beyond Tropicana. It seemed fitting that a little boy started sobbing in front of me upon finishing his juice. I feel your pain, little man. Sometimes those satisfying flavors are too darn hard to part with. I've been witnessing an immense support of this so-called juice generation in the storefront where I work and am amazed at how passionately so many locals feel toward the products. When there is a surge of popularity for anything in the health and fitness world, I'm inclined to immediately take a step back before jumping through the floodgates. Sometimes the health benefits may be available, but intentions are not correctly aligned. The owners have established more than a business here, however, by promoting a balanced lifestyle and self-care perspective. Juice bars are popping up all over the place, and though many may approach the business honestly, some are simply taking advantage of a trend. The production may be half-hearted, produce may not be 100% organic in an effort to cut costs and boost profits, and juices may be watered down, reducing the nutritional punch in each bottle. I'm not exactly business-minded, as I find the heart and soul behind a name to be the most crucial element of a company, rather than profit margins.

And it's all about the mentality in my book. I rolled out my mat in a hot yoga class on Monday, and began the class not with an immediate sweat session, but with a moment of stillness. The instructor made a point to have us take a minute to set our intentions for the practice that morning. Sure, it's just one hour of the day, but the power of a short period of time when approached humbly can significantly alter your attitude toward the day, toward others, and toward yourself. Intentions can be focused physically, emotionally, or mentally, whichever you feel needs the most love and care. We dedicated a few minutes to headstands. I have never been able to find my way into one, but I slowed the process, followed the introductory steps, and used core strength I didn't even know I had to lift my feet off the ground, eventually holding the full pose. I was SO excited. It was both a physical and mental accomplishment. We really are our own worst enemies. I felt such an overwhelming wave of pride, not because I thought I could show off to the class (there were 4 other people), but because I beat myself. Yoga is another one of those "trends", but when practiced with pure intentions, you fully understand its draw and grasp the benefits.

So let's work on setting our intentions, whether big or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment