2/22/15

Mornings Glorified!

The verdict is in: the muffins are share-worthy! Perfectly moist and satiating, chock full of the good stuff. Apple, carrot, coconut, dates. Morning Glory muffins have been my favorite since the first time I tried one, not too long ago. They bring me right back to the Mill Mountain coffee house in Virginia where I did some of my best research and writing in school. It became somewhat of a routine. So much so that they'd give me coffee and a muffin at no charge. It's funny how food can take you back.

I altered the recipe slightly, omitting the brown sugar that I feel is unnecessary for something with such naturally delicious ingredients. These are a damn good snack to power you through the mid-morning or afternoon lull.

Morning Glory Muffins


Adapted from Elly Says Opa!

Ingredients

  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 cups Carrots, peeled and grated
  • 1 Apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Honey, I used Trade Joe's Raw Wild Collected
  • 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, melted
  • 2/3 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice, I put an orange segment in my hand press
  • 3/4 Cup Dates, chopped  
Directions

1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Use a spatula to stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, and walnuts.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, honey, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and orange juice.
5. Gently stir the wet mixture into the dry until just mixed.
6. Lastly, fold in the chopped dates.
7. If your muffin tray is not nonstick, lightly grease each muffin tin or fill with liners. 
8. I filled each tin with batter just slightly more than full, yielding 12 medium muffins with enough leftover batter for an extra two (I simply baked the extra in one side of a bread pan because I was impatient)
9. Bake for 20 minutes and your whole house will smell AMAZING.

I highly recommend smearing some almond butter between two halves for an extra boost. Enjoy! And try to stop at just one, I dare you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment