12/16/14

Exploring Small Corners

Under two weeks in Columbus and we're back on the road. This time I had a slightly different perspective on I-70 and I-76: the luxurious passenger's seat. Bum warmer and all. The beginning of the Winter season is funny - in one part of the state you'll find everything covered in snow while another part still claims fields of greenery. During a quick pass through West Virginia, we came across a Subway drive-thru. Somehow during the 13-hour drive back and forth from school in Virginia to Boston, I've never encountered such a destination. I don't know why my mind was blown. But apparently West Virginians are strong supporters as the line was nearly eight cars deep. I love that we think there isn't even enough time to park our cars and walk inside for a sandwich. At Subway we promote healthy sandwiches, weight loss, and sedentary lifestyles! But I digress.

Somewhere in the middle of our Serial podcast marathon (check it out, especially captivating for a long drive) I dozed off and woke up to what felt like a different part of the country. We had left the blue skies of Columbus and entered into a hazy, wintery mix somewhere along the expanse of Pennsylvania.



In need of a second dose of caffeine, we stopped at what I can only imagine to be the most quaint rest stop in the Eastern U.S. Maybe I can't make that sweeping statement, but how precious is this?! South Midway, in case you ever happen to be in that area. 


 The long stretch of drive eventually led us to Charm City. I had never spent time in downtown Baltimore, so I realized the travel requirements for Trey's work schedule might actually be benefitting me. After dropping him off at what felt like camp, I took myself on a bit of a walking tour. Mind you, the Waterfront is no less beautiful than in the summer but that wind is definitely not the romantic breeze you get in June. You would think - or I would hope - that growing up through New England winters would equip me with tough skin, but sadly I have the tolerance of a Floridian in 60-degree weather. It didn't matter today, though. There is something almost majestic about exploring an unfamiliar area with absolutely no itinerary, no map, just the will to keep walking. While waiting to cross the street, I smiled at an older woman who in turn struck up conversation. We proceeded across the street and walked and talked for the next five minutes. You can learn a lot about a person in that time. Edna is a 72-year-old retired special education teacher who lives on the East side of the city and enjoys her retirement by taking walks around the Waterfront and visiting "the best spot in town" for lunch. She retired earlier than planned, but was exhausted and ultimately grateful for her fully functional body to move about and take in her city. Lots of kindness out there. You don't have to look too hard.

I was only in Baltimore for about two hours but it felt like vacation. Technically it was. Vacation doesn't need to be measured in days or weeks or tropical islands, but rather any moment you can steal away from your every-day routine. And look where it took me - cobblestone streets! One of my absolute favorite things. You just don't see them in many places anymore and they add such wonderful character.




I did leave Charm City feeling, well, charmed. I look forward to coming back for a more extended visit. More so in the past year I've heard a lot of people (or read in magazines) talk about how much U.S. residents overlook travel within the U.S. There is the coveted Eurotrip that so many college grads embark on, or the Caribbean island paradise whose crystal waters we dream about. Of course, both are worth visiting, but there is something to be said about exploring the other 49 states. When we think of culture, we automatically jump across oceans. But culture varies town by town just within one state. The possibilities across the country are endless. Some day I will find my way to the Mediterranean, but I'm also just as excited to hit the West Coast and move from sunny California beaches, to the Redwood Forest, to the foodie city of Portland, to rainy Seattle. That trip is in my plan for 2015. I don't know exactly how or when, but I'm craving it.

Until then, I will continue getting to know my new city here in Columbus. What is less than shocking, is my bucket list filled with cafes, restaurants, and brunch spots I'm dying to try. Crave Magazine is essentially their way to a food lover's heart, and Edible Columbus is the way into their soul. When I'm not reading about the best local spots, I'm searching for jobs connected in any way to food. Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for caring about food as much as I do. Or wondering why I HAVE to work with food or else I almost feel bored. I've slowly started to figure it out.

I spent five hours working at the Mid-Ohio Food Bank today, assisting families with their "shopping". It was fantastically interesting to someone with a sociology/anthropology background. With all the volunteer jobs I've experienced, this was the first where I was actually interacting with and leading the individuals being helped. Whether it's been harvesting produce from the ground or packing boxes to be donated, I've never had the opportunity to talk to the recipients. You might be struck by an individual's appearance in one way or another, or wonder what their history is, or why they need grociers from a food bank. There was a woman probably in her 30's wearing scrubs, who I can only guess had just come from work. I found myself wondering so many things about her life. I worked with a family shopping for five, and the teenagers were glued to their iPhones and Beats by Dre headphones. I will absolutely never make an assumption about the "type" of person in any kind of need, but these small details do get me thinking about people's lifestyles.

There are too many personalities and ways of life to ever fully understand the world. But maybe it's less about understanding it and more about living in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment