12/9/14

Soup is so Underrated

I've been selfish lately...cooking so many delicious meals and not sharing them! Well, technically I shared one of them as part of our Thanksgiving meal. And since that brings us back a couple of weeks, we'll start there. I wish I could say I created this recipe in my own mind, but I can't take credit. What I CAN do is tell you it's the best soup I've ever cooked.

Butternut Squash Soup
 Squash. Coconut. Ginger. It's all too exciting.

Recipe adapated from Half Baked Harvest

Ingredients
  • 2-3 lb. Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped up
  • Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, washed and chopped 
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. Curry, Smoked Paprika, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Chili Powder, Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Cumin
  • 1 14 oz. can Coconut Milk (If you want a "light" version, buy 1 can of full fat and add water to double your money's worth. But we do need fat. Fat is good.)
  • 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
  • Goat cheese if you want! The original recipe suggests 4 oz. but I only had a smidgen of what was left from my cheese plate the night before - more goat cheese the merrier

Coconut Ginger Cream

  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (perfect way to use the rest of your single full fat can if you watered it down to increase volume)
  • 2 Tbsp. Freshly Grated Ginger (I keep ginger in the freezer so it's super easy to peel and grate)
Instructions

Heat oil over medium heat in large pot, adding red pepper and minced garlic to cook for 3 minutes. Throw in your squash and beautiful array of spices, stirring and cooking for about 5 minutes. Next, add the coconut milk and broth, bringing everything to a boil, then cover and simmer the concoction for 25 minutes. 

CRUCIAL step: mix your other serving of coconut milk and ginger together and pop in the fridge. The ginger cream is just brilliant and the entire point of the soup, in my opinion. 

Simply add your preferred amount of goat cheese to the pot as the soup finishes cooking, and blend in batches with either a food processor or blender. Serve the soup hot with the chilled coconut ginger cream drizzled in each cup. 


While we're drooling over coconut milk....keep an eye out for the next savory post for a different take on the wholesome spicy & creamy combo!

1 comment:

  1. This looks/sounds SO GOOD. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete